P's new potty came in the mail yesterday and we are now on the fast track to big boy pants...maybe. From what I learned in my Toilet Training 101 class, there is not a magic age for toddlers to learn to go potty on the big potty, but "most" toddlers are ready to begin the process between 18 and 24 months. So...now that P is officially 18 months and 7 days...we are going for it.
Here are some signs that lead me to believe he may be ready:
- He seems to know when he is going pee pee or poo pah (as elmo would say). He will hold himself, look at me, and say "uh". I admit, its a little strange that he is grabbing himself...but apparently that's a boy thing.
- He takes a HUGE interest when mommy or daddy are going potty. He HAS to be in the bathroom with us. He will even try and look in the potty while I'm going! Again, slightly weird and almost creepy....but I guess that's what curious toddlers do.
- He knows how to wipe! He will take the toilet paper and then act like he is wiping. It's so cute!
- He LOVES to flush the toilet. Every time mommy says she has to go potty...he is following me...standing by me and waiting for me to give him the sign that he can flush. Then he usually has to flush 3 more times just for fun. And sometimes, he will even wave bye-bye to the pee pee as he is flushing.
- When I ask him if he has poo pah...he nods...and 9 times out of 10 he does!
I did create a little basket of books and toys that I set next to his potty so I can try and hold his interest and get him to sit there longer. Of course, I couldn't resist snapping a shot of him for the first time on his new potty (he'll love me for this in 16 yrs).
Now don't forget, we also have peter potty...the toddler urinal (see left sidebar). I think we will try the sit down potty first and the toddler urinal will be step 2! Wish us luck! Here's where I got P's potty (which so far I love) if you are looking for a potty chair!