1.04.2009

Travolta tragedy....

So I am sure you have seen it posted all over the news:

JETT, JOHN TRAVOLTA'S SON, DEAD AT 16

When I first read it I was in shock, as I am sure most people were. Apparently, Jett nearly died when he was two years old and was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease, which can cause a variety of side effects, including seizures. He was found in the bathroom on Friday morning after having a seizure and hitting his head.

I really can't stop thinking about what their family is going through right now. Maybe it's because I feel like I practically know John, even though I am not a movie buff...he is one of my favorite actors and I have literally seen him on Oprah a million times. Or maybe it's because I have a son of my own that I can't imagine losing, especially in 15 years from now. Or maybe it's a combination of both. Either way, this story has stayed on my mind since the second I read it.


When someone's life is so public, you feel like you kind of know them and know how they are as a family. You know what I mean? John is always so family oriented and you can really tell that he is a happy-go-lucky kind of guy. You can tell he is a great father.


Being the "negative thinker" that I am, I am constantly thinking about something awful happening to my family. I am a worry wart...to the EXTREME! I sometimes wish I could put my lil P man in a bubble, that way I know he is safe at all times. I know....very unrealistic, but honestly, I can't imagine what my life would be like if something ever happened to him. I have plans for him. I imagine taking him to his first day of kindergarden, cheering him on at his little league games, helping him with his Science projects, proudly attending his high school graduation, helping him choose a college, watching him start his own family. If any of those things were ever cut short....what would I do? My life would never be the same.


Can you imagine what that family is feeling? The grieving and terrible emotions that they must be experiencing are beyond words. When a mother is holding her baby, never does she think that...in 15 years my child will die. Never do you fatham thinking that could happen to "your" child. Am I naive to think that my son couldn't fall and hit his head in 15 years and die? This picture makes it so real to me. I think it is because Jett is about the age of my son in this picture. Never did those two parents think that in 15 years that little boy would be dead.




It's terrible. My heart goes out to their family. Famous or not famous, they are people and they are experiencing terrible things right now. Their lives are changed.


Cherish the moments you have with your kids. As protective as we want to be, sometimes uncontrollable things happen. Take this chance to SQUEEZE your lil one! Tell them that you love them and hold them tight. I know I will be.

5 comments:

Jen said...

This is so tragic...I could just cry. I think the EXACT same way as you. I am always worried about something happening to my family...sometimes to the point where Eric has to tell me to calm down. If you figure out a way to put P in a bubble let me know. I would like to put Addie one too.

The Parrish Family said...

Thank you for the post! It's always good to have a reminder of why we should take our time to appreciate our familes and all that we are so fortunate to have. You are exactly right...we must always cherish what we have because it could all be taken away in a second!

Abbi said...

i know i can't stop thinking about it either! it's soooo sad! a life taking so young!
it makes you think about our little ones and how blessed we are and how God gives us each day with them!

Shorty said...

What a sad, tragic thing to happen. Your words really hit home. I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through, but I am like you, a worrier and I think about stuff like this all the time. I don't know what I would do if a tragedy like this happened to my family, or something even remotely close. You are so right...we need to cherish our moments with our family, especially our children, and savor all the time that we are given with them.

Katy said...

I know Mandy, it's just awful. I've been thinking about them all day today. Just terrible, the words just aren't coming to me right now.